Re: [Further-devel] cvs commit

From: Ed Lea (ed@cus.org.uk)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 05:12:07 PDT

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 11:43:52AM -0700, Evan Martin wrote:
> I removed every instance of settings.h from CVS...

But you've left global_settings.h - I think that's redundant now...
isn't it?

> ...'cause I made a semiworking conf system!
>

> Currently, everything's been relocated to further.c.
> To change settings edit the stuff near the top of the file, in the
> function settings_temp_hack(). That will eventually be read from a conf
> file, but I figured it'd be better to do this in two stages.
>
> Effectively, it works like this:
> There's a simple hierarchy of "scopes".
> + system
> +-- clock
> +-- switcher
> +-- etc.
>
> When a plugin tries to read a variable, it looks in its own scope first
> before trying its parents.
>
> What this means:
> If you set the system "basefont", every plugin will use that font.
> However, if you then set the clock's "basefont", it'll get its own font.
>

> This is illustrated in settings_temp_hack(), but I don't ask you to
> understand how it all works, 'cause all you'll mostly need to do is
> modify a few variables.
>
> A fun thing to try: use a bright image for "background" and then set
> "basecolor" to a shade of black.
>

> Additionally, I moved the mail check down to the bottom left... just
> 'cause it was getting in the way of the clock. Positions will eventually be
> configurable, too.

Definately a better place for it

> Have fun, and let me know if you find any bugs...

It's all very nice, and works like a charm... the only thing I was
wondering, is what are your plans for having config files in
~/.further... being able to read

bgcolor = 102, 113, 175, 100

from a file is one thing, but calling the right variable_set_foo is
another...

--
Ed.

"Do you know, I think it is? I really think it might just be a crazy little thing called sarcasm seeping in at the edges of my manner of speech!"