Re: [Further-devel] transparency?

From: Evan Martin (martine@cs.washington.edu)
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 01:16:10 PDT

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 01:39:40PM -0700, Rogan wrote:
> I heard of further through my friend sam at the uw. He says he knows
> you? Anyways, I was wondering if there is a way to use 'transparency'
> options with programs under further. When I do this, it shows the
> stippled X default background. I can get the desired effect if I use
> Esetroot to draw the background, but I would rather just use further.
> Any thoughts on how to do this?

"transparent" terminals read their color from the background X window.
Unfortunately, further cannot take control of that window and must
instead create its own window that covers the desktop if it wants to
read mouse clicks.

As a workaround, you can use xsetroot (or any program that sets your
background) to set a background color, but as I'm sure you've noticed
you won't "see through" to any of the widgets further itself draws on
top of the background.

I suppose a more proper solution would be to hack your terminal to use
the X render transparency extensions to get real transparency, though
the fact that this hasn't been done yet indicates to me there may be
something difficult about doing so.

And yes, I know Sam. He was just here a few minutes ago. I'm sorry
further sucks so much. I've been really busy with other projects lately
and I haven't had the time to clean up the code to something reasonable.
I never really expected anyone to use it.

--
      Evan Martin
martine@cs.washington.edu

Have big pipes? SourceForge.net is looking for download mirrors. We supply the hardware. You get the recognition. Email Us: bandwidth@sourceforge.net _______________________________________________ Further-devel mailing list Further-devel@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/further-devel