Re: [Further-devel] new launcher plugin

From: Evan Martin (martine@cs.washington.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 11:59:36 PST

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 10:28:52AM -0500, Abraham Egnor wrote:
> Python is second on my list of good scripting languages, after Ruby. You
> might want to take a look at it if you haven't heard of it before.

I read a bit about it, and it did seem pretty nice.
Really, I should be doing it in Perl just because that's the language
everyone knows... but I just can't do it. Perl is too ugly. :)

I'd like to learn Ruby, but I think that I'll stick with Python because
a) I know it so well
b) I've already done a lot of work with it (including learning the C
   bindings)
c) It's more popular than Ruby (right?)
d) It's a good compromise between popularity and cleanliness

> Wouldn't the plugins still have to be in c? Or were you planning to write
> Python wrappers for evas as well?

I've written low-level Python wrappers for evas already, including one C
function that effectively runs the main further process (handling x
events and plugin callbacks) so it's speedy.

The idea is just to use Python for everything possible.
As I've seen argued a bunch of times: ideally, nothing except the core
of your system should be written in C. I think writing plugins in any
scripting language will make them both significantly shorter and easier
to understand.

(A warning in advance, because you're new to further: I talk a lot and do
little. *sigh*)

--
      Evan Martin
martine@cs.washington.edu